Buying a property can often be a rather daunting and sometimes stressful process, even when doing it at home. If you are doing it in a country where perhaps you do not speak the language and are not au fait with local or national property and tax laws; are unsure of what the different areas offer, or are not even sure of whether to buy off plan / pre-construction or finished product, or whether to buy some land build something yourself, it can sometimes seem like a Herculean task!
As there are many agencies in the Puerto Vallarta and Banderas Bay area on the Pacific coast of Mexico, and as all the AMPI members have access to the same listed properties, it is important that you do some basic research before deciding on the agent and the agency that can best work with you and help you navigate your way through the buying process.
Here are some questions you might like to consider:
- How long has the agent you have chosen been active in the local real estate market?
- Are they members of AMPI, giving them access to all listed properties?
- Does your agent speak your language as well as fluent business Spanish?
- Is your agent familiar with all the areas you are interested in?
- Will they keep you up to date with any new product that come onto the market?
- Is the agency particularly active in any particular area of the market (land, condo, resort villas, high end etc.) and does this suit your needs?
- Can the agency provide you with referrals from satisfied customers?
- Does the agency have a reputation for being honest, reliable, solid and hard working?
- Do you feel comfortable with the agent you have chosen? You will be spending a lot of time with them during the process of hunting down that elusive perfect property.
- Can they help you connect with any local professionals you may need to help you in the buying process and afterwards? (Attorneys, builders, architects, etc)
- Finally, trust your instinct, and go with the agent and agency you feel most comfortable with.
Take some time to have those questions answered thoroughly before you make a decision.